Powered By Blogger

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Well, that happened...the day the fandom wept.

Well, that happened...and everyone seems to want, no NEED, to have their say about two people they know very little about. Myself included.  This blog will be my outlet for catharsis today. We're all affected in some way or we wouldn't feel the need to comment on the situation. I've had 24 hours to reflect on this and talk to my online and especially RL comrades and I think it boils down to one thing.

We're in love with the idea of love.

We love Stephenie Meyer's books in part because we're hopeless romantics at heart. And Edward and Bella's love, is about as perfect as love can get. Especially the way he loves her. Unconditionally, unequivocally, irrevocably, and without question. Their relationship is built on trust. How many times does Bella say "I trust you". How many times does she say it, in the movies, right before our favorite scenes (Breaking Dawn Part 1, anyone? You all know the scene I'm referring to). Love and trust go hand in hand. You can't have one without the other.

What Kristen did, was a breach of trust. Of Rob's trust. Of the trust of Rupert's wife. Of the trust of her fans who believed in her love, which, if true, requires that she is inevitably a good person. Not flawless, not perfect, but trustworthy at the least. Recently admitting publicly that she was in a relationship has allowed her fans, and fans of the Twilight Saga specifically, to impose her relationship with Rob onto Edward and Bella. Knowing they were together made the movies better. The chemistry on screen was not just acted, it was real. We were witnessing real love, ideal love, magical love. True Love.

And now that magic, it's been tainted. Our feelings about her, have been tainted. Out interactions with her are limited, for the most part, to the role of Bella Swan on screen, therefore we can't help but impose our disappointment onto the movies.  This is true for viewers of the movies, and for readers of the books who started hearing the actors voices as the read the pages. I keep reading that the fandom needs to "mind their own business", that "it's about them", not us. And that's true, but only partially. It IS about us because we feel sadness, pain, and anger. These feelings are real, they are justified,  they are not imagined and having feelings is a part of who we are as human beings.

The Twilight Saga is one of the most successful franchises in the world. Why? Because it made us feel something. For most of us that was happiness. And that is why I'm posting today. I"m not happy any more. I'm angry. I'm angry because my safe place, my fantasy world, has been tainted. Infidelity is wrong. This is inarguable. Infidelity with a married man who vowed to be faithful, who has children, that's just an entirely different level of wrong.

It's true, we don't know what life in Hollywood is really like. We don't know who Rob and Kristen truly are. But we do know that they had an ability to make us feel. She was given the privilege, as an actor, to be able to affect people. The Twilight Saga has given her the ability to affect people greatly. And to say she truly appreciated that would be false. We'll never know how Rob has been affected by this, but it is safe to say that he's been wronged. I only wish it was happiness that I'm feeling now, but it's not. And I'll never be able to go back to that magical place. Nonetheless, I'd like to say thank you Stephenie Meyer for your amazing series. Thank you Summit Entertainment/Lionsgate for your amazing films. Thank you to Rob. You've made my life happier.

I guess that's all I have to say about that.

1 comment:

  1. (((HUGS)))

    Feelings don't have to be justified. They are not conscious. We can't help how we feel.

    It'll come as no surprise to you that this is impacting you harder than me. I'm not a diehard K fan. I grew to like her because of Twi and Rob... All I want is for him to be happy. And I doubt there is any way he could be happy atm. My heart breaks for him. And for Liberty and her children. Innocent victims in all this.

    I hope people can keep this all in perspective. People make mistakes. If Rob chooses to forgive her, then I imagine I will as well.... Eventually.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete